top of page


The process for applying for a green card from within the United States is called Adjustment of Status. Adjustment of Status is the process of changing from a nonimmigrant status (for instance; Tourist, Certain Students, or Non-Immigrant Workers) to that of Lawful Permanent Resident. The Adjustment of Status Process allows the applicant to stay in the United States while the application is processed, even if the lawful immigration status of the applicant expires before the Adjustment of Status is approved.



Eligibility for the Adjustment of Status Process is the following:


  1. Be physically present inside the United States;

  2. Be inside the United States when the adjustment of status application is filed

  3. Have made a lawful admission into the United States*; and

  4. Have an immigrant visa immediately available to you**


*Lawful admission means that you were admitted or paroled into the United States. For many individuals, this means that they entered the United States with a valid visa. Please note that there are other immigration processes that also allow individuals to obtain a lawful admission into the United States.


**Immediate relatives of United States Citizens may file the adjustment of status application together with a family-based petition.

Other ways to adjust status includes:

Adjustment of Status cases are complicated and often require the help of knowledgeable professionals to obtain a successful outcome. At the Jurado Firm, we have the experience you need in handling Adjustment of Status cases to ensure that you obtain the best possible outcome in your Adjustment of Status case. Give us a call, our initial consultations are free of cost.

bottom of page